Thursday, March 27, 2008

Dianthus 'inferno' ?

I have hesitated to put this post together - but Park Seeds keeps sending me catalogs, and I keep looking at this unappealing flower. I admit I thought it was a rose, but this 'beauty' is a dianthus, actually. Park (a company I've only had positive experiences with as far as ordering seeds and plants) advertises "There's never been a color combo like this! "
I would have to agree. Purple and red together doesn't work for me, for example, when those 'red hat' gals are around. This just looks blech-o to me. I keep thinking maybe the photo is not accurate, that maybe the flower 'in person' wouldn't be so bad. But why would they try to sell it with this photo? Maybe it's not so bad? Anybody like this? Anybody grown this? Does it really look like this? Just wondering.

2 comments:

Gardenista said...

Yeah, I don't know if this would be my must-have plant of the year. I like the white and cherry "Arctic Fire" dianthus color combo much better. Besides, compared to a rose or tulip, dianthis are generally too small to see the stripey-pattern from very far away. I would be wary of it looking like some diseased plant.

Unknown said...

Ugh. I normally am up for interesting colors and such, but this just doesn't do it for me. Although like gardenista said, maybe you don't see the stripey pattern from very far away?