Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Zucchini is better than Eggplant, y'know

This recipe is a variation of the Moosewood Cookbook's Ratatouille recipe.
I know, I know, eggplant is THE ingredient in Ratatouille,
but I don't care for it, and decided a long time ago that when I make Ratatouille,
I would throw tradition to the winds and just leave it out.
Gourmet I'm not, and we are not even going to talk about that cute Ratatouille movie.
I love this flavorful stew with some grated parmesan cheese and brown rice:
Ratatouille sans Eggplant

1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium bell peppers, chopped
2 small or medium zucchini, cubed
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2-4 tomatoes, crushed
1 t each basil and marjoram
1 t oregano
Dash of ground rosemary
½ c. tomato juice
(2 T. tomato paste)
2 t. salt, approx
black pepper to taste
¼ c olive oil
freshly –chopped parsley

grated cheese / rice/ black olives


Heat olive oil in large pot. Crush the garlic; add garlic and onion to pot. Sauté just until onion begins to turn transparent. Stir in tomato juice and herbs, then cover and simmer on low for about 10-15 minutes. Add zucchini and peppers, cover and simmer about 5 minutes, then add salt and pepper, tomatoes (and tomato paste if you think it will be too thin), and stir together. Cook briefly until all vegetables are tender, but not limp!
Just before serving, mix in fresh parsley.

Serve over a bed of rice, or in a bowl with French bread.
Top with grated cheese and chopped black olives.
Let me credit Robin Wedewer, who wrote this article last year for the Los Angeles Examiner.
My fave is you may have too much zucchini if "you have a zucchini bread for breakfast, a zucchini omelet for lunch, zucchini casserole for dinner and chocolate zucchini cake for dessert."
In today's Relish, a food insert in my local newspaper, there was another article and recipes about zucchini. One thing did crack me up, though - the recommendation that a family of four should plant ' four to six plants for a family of four.'
Yea, that's the kind of advice that ends up with people plotting to stuff giant
green vegetables in people's cars , and on their doorsteps!
Don't forget, Saturday is National Leave a Zucchini on your Neighbor's Porch day, so bag up those zucchinis, print out a recipe or two,
and figure out which neighbor you are going to 'Zucchini Ditch'

2 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Now, I know what to do with my zucchini... Thanks!

motherof8 said...

I can't stand egg plant myself. This sounds good.