Thursday, January 17, 2008

Show and Tell Friday - Why Red is better than Green


It's show and tell Friday again, head over to Kelli's blog to see what everyone else has up this Friday!



This is a little 'knick-knack' I bought at the local knick-knack shop, it was even a deal.
I see a lot of John Deere tractor 'stuff'' - I think there is some nostalgia for those of us who grew up in the country, but I like the red tractors better than the green ones.

I am a farmer's daughter. My Dad is retired now, at age 74, and even sold his tractor last year. (He was renting out a field so he could 'farm' a little bit.) My Dad's tractors were always red or orange, because he preferred Farmall and Case tractors to the more ubiquitous John Deere.

When I saw this harvest tractor, I thought of him. When I was a child, it was a special privilege to get to ride with Dad on the tractor, as he was coming in from the field. I remember him fixing it when it broke, and even a tractor race he had one day with his brother out on the road they lived on.

23 comments:

Betty said...

I like your tractor! Great memories of your Dad, treasure each moment with him......

Enjoyed visiting with you....Betty

Rebecca said...

I love your little tractor. My grandpa was a farmer. It reminded me of him!

Cheryl said...

What a great little treasure that I'm sure makes you smile whenever you look at it~ sweet.

Martha said...

What a wonderful knick-knack of wonderful past memories. I think it is neat. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
~Martie

Gattina said...

Oh that's so nice and it reminds you your childhood ! Riding on a tractor is so much fun !

Susan said...

Cute treasure and precious memories.
Susan

Unknown said...

I am also the daughter of an old farmer (he's 79). When I was three, I received a metal tractor and wagon set for my birthday. I still have it and you know what?

It's red!

Thanks for the smile.
Shannon

Hootin Anni said...

Cute. Very nostalgic. I'm a granddaughter of a farmer, and the ones I remember were gray. A gray tractor. And for the life of me I cannot remember the manufacturer's name.

My show n tell is posted. I'd love to have you visit me today. :o)

Anonymous said...

What a cute tractor, what a special memory of your dad.

nannykim said...

Love your tractor--so cute--I wonder how old it is? Love the story too!

Shady Gardener said...

Great memories! I have a farm background, too. And we also had "red tractors!" ;-)

Jean said...

What a great find! I love your tractor and the fact that has been used is all the better.

Dalyn said...

reminds e of my husband's grampa...good memories!

Anonymous said...

What a neat memento of your dad!

nancy said...

I, too, wonder about the origins of this little treasure. I'm trying to figure out what it was made of. It almost looks like a rubbery kind of material that I have seen old toys made of.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

What a fun keepsake to trigger sweet memories. I can see why red is better than green.
Sweet story.
Kathy b

Anonymous said...

We were a red farming family too. Case International all the way! Ha, I remember when my nephew was just a wee tyke, my brother taught him to say "John Deer stinks....". It's rare to come across an ole red tractor. Lovely show and tell!!

Rose of Sharon said...

That is so cute! I thought it was old and antique, it is wonderful! How sweet that it bring memories of your Daddy!

Hugs, Sharon

Lana G! said...

Love the tractor! What a wonderful way to remember your DAD!

PattieJ said...

Very cute! It's so nice that it reminds you of your Dad...

Pattie

Linda said...

What a sweet little tractor and sweet memories too. Linda

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I missed your S&T last week. I love this cute little tractor! My grandfather was a farmer and I have good memories of tractors!

Katherine

Kylee Baumle said...

What a neat little tractor! I'm the granddaughter of farmers and it was nothing but International Harvester red tractors and combines on their farm.