Thursday, July 31, 2008

Two-fer - Show and Tell Friday and Garden Bloggers Muse Day

Well, I am trying to put everything together into one blog entry.
I am showing a poem I wrote about a favorite childhood memory - going to the county fair.
Some years I spent most of the week there, with my brother and sis and grandmother.
Did I mention it is the best and largest county fair in the U.S.A.?? Or so I was told...



The Great Darke County Fair by Joyce V.


I learned in school that our school was the best.

Our town the best. Our county, without question, was the best.

Here was The Best farmland, glacier-scrubbed and rich for the plow.


Our fair was not just any fair, it was GREAT.

And as a child, I agreed.

I loved the fair food,

the fried scones dripping with butter and honey,

cotton candy, fudge of every color and flavor.
I loved the parade (always held on Thursday),

with 4-H floats and horses and

bands trooping around the track.

I loved the rides, the noise, the games,

the mysterious mustachioed fat lady.

When my money was spent,


I toured the free exhibits in the Coliseum.


I visited my uncle’s cows,


and my cousin’s pigs in the fair barns.


I studied the quilts, the needlework,


the jars of jam with blue ribbons.

Yes, it’s true; our fair is the Best fair of all.
The biggest, the most fun of all
In my memory, the GREAT Darke County Fair
Lives on forever, superlatives intact.

6 comments:

ceekay said...

When we lived in the Midwest, I was very active in the County Fair. It was soooooo fun. I enjoyed your post and it brought back many happy memories.

Carrie said...

this brought to mind a fair I attended in south Texas years ago. Thanks for sharing your local attraction.

Hootin' Anni said...

Love the quilt photo!!!

My Show N Tell is posted, I hope you can stop by sometime today for a visit. Happy Friday!!!

Carolyn gail said...

Great musing, Muum. Thanks for adding your special memory to GBMD.

Cindy said...

I LOVE county fairs and yours sounds like a GREAT one! Mmmm, I could go for some fried dough dusted in sugar right now.

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

Loved it!! It sounds like the most wonderful fair. Ours came in September, and since my birthday came in Sept. I thought the fair was for me.~~Dee