Saturday, October 06, 2007

GREEN THUMB SUNDAY The Mother Ship of Squash

I grew several different varieties of squash this year, this one was a fun surprise, it is really called Bennings summer squash. We have made UFO jokes all summer. Summer squash is really good at hiding under those big squash leaves, and so we had a variety of sizes, because I would miss one (or five!) now and then. Bennings has a milder flavor than other summer squashes; I'd have to say it is my favorite this year. Of course I grew zucchini, and Yellow Scallop, Sunburst Hybrid, which are very similar, and a lovely yellow zucchini called 49er.

11 comments:

Emily said...

and they taste GREAT - you guys have kept us in squash all summer. :) yumm.

Anonymous said...

great shots..nice colors of squash..love eating those..
mine is up also hope you got time.

Aiyana said...

I love squash, especially the summer squash in the top photo. We always called them Pattypan squash. I'm not familiar with yellow zucchini. Does it taste the same as the green variety?
Aiyana

verobirdie said...

Great vegetables. I did not know them.

Anonymous said...

Funny! The white ones are so pretty....

Anonymous said...

I am going to have a go at growing all of these next year. They look fun and interesting. Thanks for sharing. sara from farmingfriends

Anonymous said...

Your squash are beautiful and they do look like UFO's. I should grow them. My boys would love making spaceships out of them

Mark said...

Take me to your leader....

Do you eat them or dry them out and use them for decorations?

Muum said...

thanks for everyone's comments,
Aiyana -the yellow 'zucchini' tastes the same as the green, to me, but I dont' have the most sensitive palate.
Mark- we eat them, I havent' tried to dry them. They are like zucchini, though, and I can't imagine that they would dry like a gourd.

SandyCarlson said...

My daughter's flower fairies would quite enjoy these garden gems!

Diana LaMarre said...

I was just popping in to ask if those were pattypans. I see someone else thought the same, so I guess they are. :)

I bought some last year at the farmer's market and they were very good.

Now that I've seen these, I am hungry for more of them!