Sunday, October 21, 2007

Pickled beets and pickled eggs

My last post reminded me of something I haven't made in a long time, pickled beets with hardboiled eggs. This was something I grew up with, it is simple, just put equal amounts of vinegar and sugar together, and add peeled beets and cook, then add peeled, hardboiled eggs and refrigerate for a day or two. The egg whites turn pink, and take on some of the 'pickled' flavor. I was surprised when my DH, who generally eats just about anything, said, 'what's that?' when I served him some, but he had not had them before. I guesss it is a bit odd, when you think of pink eggs and all. Tasty, though. I've heard of recipes with spices in them, too. Anyone else grow up with pickled eggs and beets? (how about fried mush w/ syrup??! yum!)

5 comments:

Priscilla George said...

Thank you for stopping my by blog! I've never tried beets before. I don't like pickles or pickled anything. Fried mush with syrup? You eat weird stuff.

Muum said...

don't knock it if you haven't tried it! I don't really eat fried corn mush anymore, it is too fatty and too sugary and too carbohydrate-y for me, but it is tasty. I think it helps if you grow up eating something 'odd' , then you are used to it, and it enters that fabled category of 'comfort food'.

A wildlife gardener said...

I have not heard of that recipe, but it sounds really tasty.

Your blog is really interesting. What a harvest of veggies!. I have never seen squashes like those in a previous post. They all look amazing :)

Emily said...

i can't believe dad didn't remember that - i know we've had picked eggs before. i didn't much care for them.

but fried mush; now that has all the major points of something that must be delicious; hot, fatty, and sweet.

can't go wrong!

The Damsel In DisDress said...

pink eggs! well!