Sunday, October 28, 2007

GREEN THUMB SUNDAY ripening tomatoes - indoors?

Has anyone had the experience of ripening green tomatoes indoors and gotten tomatoes that looked like they were getting ready to go as mummies for Halloween? This is what happens to me, whether I use paper to wrap them or not. These tomatoes
ripened outside on the NW facing back porch. When we pulled the tomatoes (six weeks ago!), my DH left this pile of green tomatoes on the back porch. I decided to ignore them for a while,


and was surprised to see a few of them ripen up very nicely. We have had a very mild fall so far, but still, it is a pleasant surprise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the thought of garden tomatoes. Our farmer's market has been out since mid October and I won't eat the white ones in the groceries.

Aiyana said...

I've seen that happen with fruit. I wonder what causes it. I would love to have a basketful of homegrown tomatoes right now. The ones in the grocery taste like mush. Happy GTS,
Aiyana

Joyismygoal said...

yumm my favorite food in the world

Annie in Austin said...

Hi Muum,

I came to read your Garden Muse post, but was distracted by the tomatoes!

Just a guess - maybe it's something to do with the porch having a higher and steady relative humidity and possibly cooler temperatures at night?

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Muum said...

I am wondering if it is the temps, and I do live in a low humidity place, so your idea has some merit!